Sunday, May 20, 2012

Far from the Kfar

Thursday, Friday, and Saturday night: packed.
Today (Sunday): loaded truck with what we’re leaving for Nativ 32 and the bags we won’t see again until we leave for the airport.  Small party with our bosses in which we all thanked each other for the experiences, work, impact of the past 3 months.
Tomorrow: bus takes us to Jerusalem.

I am not ready to leave the kfar.  From being here, I have learned that I am happy living in a small, quiet, isolated village.  I have developed a stronger work ethic.  I have become a better Hebrew speaker.  Every day, when walking out of my room, I have been amazed at the beauty of my surroundings.

I am going to miss caring for the animals, watching the sun set over Chaifa, seeing the E. Ron tour buses drop off and pick up the commuting students, seeing the rays of sun come through the trees by the playground, saying hi to the workers as I walk down the hill not just to be friendly but because I truly know them, and running past the bus stop with the graffiti, “Kfar Chasidim habayit sheli.”  Kfar Chasidim is my home.

I know we made a difference here.  We cleaned, beautified, and assisted in just about every way.  It’s amazing how appreciated and loved we feel by people who have been here much longer than us.
Today is Yom Yerushalayim, and I would have liked to be in Jerusalem today to experience it.  I will be there tomorrow, but I don’t know if the joy of Jerusalem will outweigh the desolation of departing the place I will continue to call my home for 18 more hours.

I hope to come back soon.

Trivia: When was the kfar founded? Kfar Chasidim was founded in 1924, but kfar hanoar wasn’t founded until 1937.

No comments:

Post a Comment